Saturday, July 5, 2014

Day 35 Arapahoe to Benkleman, NE


Water van today!  I'm proud to say that this was the first time I was in the water van (or the food van for that matter) and nothing really went wrong at all.  Each time I've been in the van, something horribly goes wrong and I'm glad I was able better my record a little bit.  I was in the water van with Emily Lipsitz, which was great, because both of us are 21 or older, meaning we can switch driving shifts.  I have to say the highlight of the day was getting to spray everybody down with the water gun.   It was a very hot day, so I thought it perfectly acceptable to make sure everyone cooled down once in awhile.  Not sure if everyone on the team loved it, but...

One of the waterstops was at a gas station, and we met a guy who clearly seemed unsympathetic towards cyclists.  He complained that when he had lived in Boulder, there were just too many bikes and that we needed to get off the road.  It was kind of an uneasy conversation, because he wouldn't stop complaining about cyclists... but when he had finished, he handed us a $20 donation.  Very confusing, but we'll take the donation and be thankful for it.

For reasons unclear to me, the last riding group came in laughing and asking us to play Nickelback... so we ended up blasting Nickelback songs for the last 10 miles or so for them.  It was definitely a great day, and one that meant a lot to me because it was a day without any issues in the water van... probably will never come again.

Thanks to our hosts for tonight, the Benkleman United Methodist Church, for setting us up at a local school and providing dinner.

Water van buddies

No comments:

Post a Comment